The Portage Animal Welfare Society Inc. is a pretty amazing group of people. PAWS Inc was formed because, besides animal control, there were no other rescue groups helping stray and abandoned animals in the City of Portage la Prairie and RM of Portage la Prairie in Manitoba. Eight years later, PAWS Inc. is involved in the community with adoptions, population control (spay / neuter program), public education, assistance with domestic abuse situations, and cruelty prevention. Just outstanding!
And it gets better.
Currently, PAWS Inc does not have a building. Supporting the community is done by operating with a network of foster homes. But these dedicated people are working hard to fundraise to secure a permanent building. The first phase of development will be the establishment of housing for rescued animals and office space.
The proposed animal adoption centre will house up to 30 dogs and 40 cats. This will provide enough space to facilitate rescuing animals from the Portage City Animal Control, surrenders from the public and provide kennel space for the Safe Haven Program which assists individuals in leaving abusive relationships. Kennel space would also be dedicated to short-term paid boarding.
In future phases of development PAWS Inc. will work to provide these services to the community:
- Job creation through paid staff positions
- Classroom for community education and children’s programs
- In house veterinary services particularly spay and neuter clinics.
- Dog obedience classes
- Doggie day-care and kennel services
- “Do it yourself” grooming facilities
- Retail store
- Off leash dog park
- Venue for our bi-annual province-wide animal welfare/expos conferences
- Further volunteer opportunities such as training animals for helping in the community: hospital, school and care home visitations
If you’re in the area this weekend and want to meet these fabulous people, drop by their adopt-a-thon at the Herman Prior Centre between 10am and 4pm.